Safeguarding is everyone’s business. All the surgery staff have safeguarding training and are always willing to talk to anyone concerned about the safety of a member of our community. Here are some numbers and websites which may be helpful.

Advice for and about children

If you think a child is being abused or suffering from neglect you can get advice from the East Riding Safeguarding Children’s website including how to make a confidential referral.

The NSPCC has lots of useful advice. If you’re worried about a child, even if you’re unsure, contact NSPCC professional counsellors for help, advice and support on 0808 800 5000.

If your baby or the baby of someone you know is crying and causing distress advice can be sought at ICON.

Childline offers support to children and young people. Their website has contact details and lots of useful support. Childline offers free, confidential advice and support for any child 18 years or under, whatever the worry: 0800 1111

Also please use the following link below for more information on a local initiative called “Not in our community” – It is a campaign providing resources, co-produced with young people in the Humber area to protect themselves and friends against grooming and exploitation.

Not In Our Community – Protection against exploitation

Advice if you think an adult is being abused

If you think an adult who is unable to protect themselves is being abused, use the East Riding Safeguarding Adults website. You can report abuse via this website.

The Ann Craft Trust has advice on safeguarding young people over 18 particularly those with a learning disability as well as what to do if you suspect a sports coach is being abusive.

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse may affect any intimate relationship within a family setting. This may include the use of excessive control, coercive or threatening behaviour as well as physical abuse such as hitting or slapping someone. You can refer yourself or ask for help for someone else by contacting East Riding Domestic Violence and Abuse Service.

Online chat service available for anyone wanting confidential support or someone to talk to online for support around domestic abuse. It is available from 10am to 2pm Monday to Friday and can be found on the above DVAP ERYC website.

Women’s Aid have a 24 hour helpline accessed by ringing 0808 2000 247.

Men’s advice line: 0808 8010 327.

Safeguarding and Partnership Hub (SaPH): (01482) 395 500.

Children’s team (01482) 396 368 (office hours only – outside these times: 0800 11 11).

East Riding Yorkshire Council Housing (24 hours): (01482) 393 939.

Victim Support: 0808 1689 111.

PODAS (Prevention Of Domestic Abuse Service) supports men who are violent or concerned about their violence. Telephone: (01482) 396 368 or email: